She wanted to tell him so much, on the tarmac, the day he left. The world is run by brutal men and the surest proof is their armies. If they ask you to stand still, you should dance. If they ask you to burn the flag, wave it. If they ask you to murder, re-create.
— Colum McCann, ‘Let the Great World Spin’
- ADDISON: Did you ever read ‘The Lady or the Tiger’?
- THERAPIST: No.
- ADDISON: There’s a Princess who falls in love with the guard, which is y’know, inappropriate. When her father the King finds out, he throws the guard into some kind of arena.
- THERAPIST: Okay.
- ADDISON: Behind one door is a tiger that’ll tear him to bits, and behind the other is a lady with whom he’d be free to live the rest of his life. The Princess is forced to sit in the stand and choose his fate.
- THERAPIST: What does she choose?
- ADDISON: The author never tells you.
- THERAPIST: What do you think she chose?
- ADDISON: When I was younger, when I read the story, I thought the Princess chose the tiger because who would wanna watch the man you love spend the rest of his life with another woman? And honestly, I’ve been there and it’s really.. well it’s.. it’s too cruel.
- THERAPIST: And now? What do you think now?
- ADDISON: Well now I guess I’d like to think that the Princess pointed to the lady. Because I’m starting to think that love might mean wanting the other person to be happy. Even if that means they can’t stay with you.
I don’t like Drake. It’s nothing that he did to me, He actually is talented. He’s very talented. Yeah, I don’t like him. It ain’t nothing personal. I don’t like his stuff. He is talented. He has a little wordplay here and there, but when I see him and hear him it’s like — ‘Money, I’m not rockin with that.’
— DMX talks to VIBE about how he feels about Drake. yep, yeah i feel that.
i want to join facebook just so i can know what it feels like when someone un-friends you.
— overheard this from a 70 odd year old man talking to his teenage granddaughter while i was having lunch on a bench in rock plaza today. wanted to burst out laughing but just smiled over my avocado salad instead. people watching: humor and inspiration all rolled into one.
Something settled inside me, something heavy and hard. It stayed there, and i could not think of one thing to make it go away. I thought, So this must be living, this must be the beginning of the time people later refer to as “years ago, when I was young.
— jamaica kincaid